Thursday, September 10, 2009

Hashbrown Casserole

This is a recipe that was introduced to me by my sister-in-law Katie, and it has quickly become one of my favorite things to make. It was originally made for a baby shower brunch and I think it's meant to be a breakfast food, but I have recently been making it as a side for dinner. The best part is that it's so easy to put together and can be made ahead of time. 

I usually halve the recipe for a smaller amount, which still feeds 2 people with lots of leftovers.


Hashbrown Casserole

2 lb. frozen hashbrown potatoes
2 cans cream of potato soup
8 oz. sour cream
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup milk
8 oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
butter

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Mix together all ingredients except parmesan cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Spread in a greased 9x13 baking dish, or 2 1/2 qt. casserole dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and dot with pats of butter. Bake, uncovered, for one hour.

**I tend to make this with low-fat or fat free ingredients, because it's just what I have on hand, and it still tastes incredible!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh, my! Michael must be in heaven if you are making this on a regular basis. :)
XOXOX