Monday, October 27, 2008

Chili

There's something about a big pot of warm and hearty soup cooking all day when it's cold and windy outside. I love how it engulfs the entire house in such a wonderful smell. 

I often make my Mom's chili on cold fall weekends when Mike and I have plans to be around the house all day. It makes great leftovers, as well!


Mom's Easy Chili

1 Tbs. EVOO
1 28oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15oz. can black beans
1 15oz. can light kidney beans
1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 large onion, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
Garlic Powder to taste
Chili Powder to taste

Heat EVOO in large saucepan. Brown ground turkey and onions together. Add s&p and garlic powder to turkey and onions while browning. Pour off extra oil once turkey and onions are done. Add diced tomatoes, black beans, and kidney beans (including the juice that the beans are in) and let simmer on medium heat for about 20 minutes. After everything has mixed together, add chili powder to taste, and any other s&p you desire. Allow chili to simmer as long as you like. 

**I serve my chili over rice, and also add shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream 

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Looking forward to your new blog and seeing some new recipes. I like to cook when I have time, but find myself making a lot of the same old thing.
Love,Sharon

Kirsten said...

So excited about this!! I wanted to make chili for this weekend and I am definitely going to use your recipe now! Thanks!!